On March 14, Philadelphia City Council will vote on the ability of all workers in Philadelphia to earn up to seven paid sick days per year. With this vote, Philadelphians will no longer have to choose between the jobs they need and the families they love every time a cold, flu, or worse comes on the horizon.
Who doesn't have sick days in Philadelphia?
- Restaurant and food service workers
- Healthcare workers
- Childcare workers
For that matter, is anyone else concerned that someone could lose part of their paycheck - and their job - because a child is sick or has been in an accident?
If you are, now is the time to take action.
Here is what you can do:
- Call City Council (9 to 5, Monday through Friday) to show your support. We even give you a sample message when you call using 888-376-5807.
- Sign our petition in favor of earned sick days in Philadelphia at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2013PhillyESD.
- Tweet your support! Here are some sample tweets:
-Everyone gets sick - but not everyone can afford to get better. (Councilmember), please vote for #paidsickdays via @EarnedSickTime
-Workers need #paidsickdays. (Councilmember), let's make it happen Thursday! via @EarnedSickTime
-send these tweets to @BobbyHenon, @JimFKenney, @CouncilwomanBRB, @cmcbass, @CouncilOBrien
- Come out and join us on March 14 at City Council!