Last week, NPR and The Nation published a story on the need for earned sick days that came out of the "Making it Work: Advancing Workplace Policies for Today's Families Conference" we were attending.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Fifty million workers in America — including 40 percent of the private workforce — lack paid sick days.
- The average cost for sick leave per employer-hour worked in the private sector was just 23 cents.
- According to IWPR, passage of the Healthy Families Act would result in workers saving over $100 million per year in out-of-pocket expenses for the seasonal flu alone; paid family leave to care for elderly parents or other relatives could save over $700 million annually by avoiding temporary placement in care facilities.
- Contact your Congressperson right now to ask him or her to cosponsor the Healthy Families Act.
- Tell us your story! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about your experience with earned sick time.
- Sign our petition, which we will take to the Pennsylvania Legislature and to Philadelphia's City Council.
- Please call your state representative and ask him or her to ensure all workers have access to earned sick time by cosponsoring and supporting HB 1830, The Healthy Families, Healthy Workplaces Act.
- If you live in Philadelphia, please call your City Councilperson and ask him or her to ensure all workers have access to earned sick time by cosponsoring and supporting Bill No. 080474, Promoting Healthy Families and Workplaces
image courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/fsse-info/ / CC BY-SA 2.0